Absorb the Northern Lights Wonder | Private Tour
Available: September to April
Duration: Approx. 3-4 hours, depending on whether the Northern lights need to be hunted.
Pick-up: From your hotel/accommodation within the Reykjavik Capital Area.
- Northern lights
- Experienced local private guide
- Icelandic hot chocolate
- You can opt for vegan hot chocolate instead of dairy during checkout
Traveling privately offers you the possibility of experiencing the Northern lights in a more exclusive setting away from the crowds, for a more heightened experience. After your private guide has picked you up, they will take you out of the city away from any light pollution, to find the perfect spot for you to experience the Northern lights at their best. Location is dependent on cloud coverage and activity each evening.
The aurora borealis, commonly known as the Northern lights, is a burst of colored lights, forming a pattern in the night sky caused by particles from the sun interacting with Earth's magnetic field. They are natural phenomena happening all year, but only visible to the human eye during the winter months when it's dark. The Northern lights can only be visible in the right conditions, with partly clear skies and darkness, and being a natural phenomenon, they can be unpredictable and very elusive.
During winter we monitor the same-day forecast closely to predict visibility for each evening. Our experience is from years of reviewing detailed forecast predictions of cloud conditions, the weather, and solar activity. As forecasts are only a prediction and the Northern lights are a natural phenomenon, sightings can not be guaranteed despite our best effort. We always try to only go out for the Northern lights when favorable conditions are predicted, so as not to waste our guests' limited time during their visit to Iceland. If visibility is not predicted favorable for the evening, you will be notified and offered to reschedule for another evening. If you are however not able to reschedule, you will be refunded in full.
Our team of experienced guides is all about making our guests' experience unique, welcoming, and memorable for a lifetime!
- Homemade hot chocolate made from Icelandic chocolate (vegan option available)
- Parking fees
- Pickup & drop-off within the Reykjavik Capital Area
- Private transport in an air-conditioned vehicle
- Knowledgeable & experienced English-speaking driver-guide
What's not included
- Tip or gratuity
What do I need to bring
- Please respect nature - do not throw out trash or walk on any moss.
- For environmental responsibility purposes, you do not need to print out your e-ticket.
- The total duration of this tour depends on whether the Northern lights need to be hunted.
- Sightings of Northern lights can never be fully guaranteed, even with detailed predictions, since Northern lights and weather anomalies are natural phenomena.
- We try to only go out if the forecast indicates favorable conditions for the Northern lights to be visible, and we always go by the same-day forecast when predicting possible visibility for each evening.
- In some cases, we may need to delay or cancel your tour due to unfavorable weather or road conditions for your safety.
- A refund can only be made if we need to cancel your tour due to weather conditions being unfavorable.
- Dress according to the weather by wearing warm and wind-/waterproof clothing in layers and bring gloves and a hat.
- Wear suitable footwear, preferably waterproof with a good grip, in case of slippery conditions due to ice, rain, or gravel paths.
- Access to restroom facilities can vary.