Bjarnagjá diving tour
Bjarnagjá fissure is located in Reykjanes peninsula, only about one hour drive from Reykjavik.
According to an older theory of continental drift, the Eurasian and North American continental plates shift and grind together in an endless clash of subterranean forces under a gaping rift at the tip of the Reykjanes peninsula in southwest Iceland. Bjarnagjá is an 18 m deep lava ravine on this very peninsula where the tectonic activity has caused Iceland to rise out of the ocean.
The water in Bjarnagjá is mostly fresh groundwater but it is influenced by the salinity of the sea as the rift is only few hundred meters from the coast. So divers can spot wildlife in the fissure. As an added bonus, a boat has been placed in the bottom of the fissure.
For those who have the appropriate level of training and diving experience this site offers dives in an overhead environment.
This site is near the town Grindavík and the famous Blue Lagoon.
All divers on this Diving Tour must have dry suit diving certification OR 10 logged dry suit dives within two years of the Silfra tour date, which must be confirmed with written proof from a diving instructor.
The structure of your Diving Tour
The Bjarnagja Diving Tour includes one dive which will take about 30-40 minutes each, with a maximum depth of 18 meters.
Your guide will give you a detailed briefing of the dive site and will then assist you in setting up (link: /about-us/safety-and-equipment text: our dive equipment). We use high quality BARE and Aqualung brand SCUBA equipment and APEX or Aqualung regulators.
After the tour, we will have hot coco and cookies before driving back to Reykjavik.
If you have your own transportation, you can meet us directly at Bjarnagjá fissure (meeting point will be provided in the confirmation e-mail).
If you choose the pick up option, your private guide will pick you up and drop you off at your location in Reykjavík. During the one-hour drive, your guide will provide you with background information about the unique geology and cultural history of Iceland.
We recommend visiting the Blue Lagoon after your tour. If you have booked transportation, we can drop you off there and you can book transportation back to Reykjavik.
- Guided diving tour
- 1 guided 40min dive
- All necessary equipment
- Hot chocolate and cookies after the diving tour
What do I need to bring
- your SCUBA dive certification card (PADI Open Water or equivalent)
- proof of dry suit certification or 10 logged dry suit dives within two years of tour date
- long underwear
- thick socks
- suitable clothes for the weather of the day
- Bring a physicians approval if divers are 60 years or older
- be a certified diver at the level of PADI Open Water Diver or equivalent
- have dry suit diving certification and a logged dry suit dive within two years of the hot spring tour date OR have at least 10 logged dry suit dives within two years of the hot spring tour date and be able to provide written proof from a diving instructor of these dry suit dives PDF
- have read, signed, and followed directions on the online Diving Medical Statement (link provided in confirmation email) PDF
- have our Diving Medical form signed off by a doctor if they are age 60 or older PDF
- sign our liability release form at the start of the dive tour PDF
- be at minimum 150cm / maximum 200cm
- be at minimum 45kg / maximum 120kg
- fit within our dry suit size chart PDF
- be at least 17 years of age (signature of legal guardian required for under 18 year old participants)
- be physically fit
- be able to communicate in English
- be ready to wear a sometimes tight & constricting dry suit
- not be pregnant